Thursday, April 11, 2013

Eli's Surgery...

Well today was the dreaded day...the one where we envisioned our baby, who didn't understand, reaching out for us and we couldn't take him.  Although today wasn't completely easy at first, it wasn't that either.

We had to be at the surgery center at 6:30, which meant we needed to leave our place at 5:30, waking up at around 4:30.  So needless to say, it was a late night and a super early morning for all of us.  We got the bag packed and were on our way.

When we got there Eli was in a great mood, playing and we were the only ones in the waiting room which was nice.  Then all of a sudden, he started running wide open and ran right into the wall.  It was so quick I couldn't even catch him and I was standing right behind him. He only cried for a second, but he had quite the goosebump on his forehead.  This mommy, who was already extremely nervous about the surgery and emotional, felt like it was my fault and felt awful that he was getting ready to have surgery and he got hurt on my watch too.

When the nurse came out, I was sitting in the corner of the play area, in a kids chair, crying like crazy.  The nurse saw Kevin at first and was talking to Eli and I was trying to get it together and when she saw me she was like "oh my."  I'm sure she was thinking it's ok lady, he's fine!  but she was sweet about it.  I finally just looked at her and said I'm nervous, but I'm pregnant too so i can blame those hormones, right?  And she laughed.

Back we went to Eli's room where we got lots of questions, etc. and we changed him into the little kid gown with tigers on it.



 
He was such a good boy, but it felt like forever between the time he got put in that room and they took him back for surgery.  I think Kevin and I were both like please just get it over with already.  So after a while, they gave him his "happy medicine" as they called it to relax him and be able to separate him from us.  I have to say it was the funniest thing.  Within three minutes, Eli was laughing at himself and throwing his head back and touching our faces.  We had to take a video it was so funny, but you could tell he was feeling good!  Then the lady took him back and we went to the waiting room.  Within fifteen minutes ( I think), the doctor came into the waiting room.  It might have been longer, but it was so quick I thought oh no...something's wrong.  He said everything went perfectly, gave us information on Eli and what to do/expect and it was done!
 
 
Finally they took us back to see him and of course I picked him right up.  He nestled into me and cuddled, slept and snored for the next 20 minutes.  It was wonderful.
 
It felt like he was a baby again, just MUCH bigger. :)  After getting everything straight, we were on our way home.
He did so well and was such a big boy and he has been doing great ever since we got home.  He even got a surprise from Grandma & Granddaddy....

And he loved playing with the balloons.  He's a tough kid.  Who would have known he had surgery today because he is back to being our happy, sweet, loving little boy.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment